Alrighty, the weather is warming up and this year it's one of our goals to get our yard under control. In previous years with my funky work schedule and the cost of tools and the lawnmower breaking down we were a bit outmatched by mother nature. At least until the fall semester begins (hey I'll be a grad student finally!) I have a schedule that gives me some time during daylight hours to actually work on the yard. I also have some extra incentive to get yard work done this year. My mother has recently passed away and some of my fondest memories with her are from gardening. Let some of her legacy be blooming life. Also some incentive comes from finding out that I am diabetic and exercise/physical activity is part of the plan to save my life. So expect more blog entries about gardening, food and health.
I went around the house and took some pictures of the various projects in progress.
My parents started to lay out pseudo pathways and designs with these bricks but a lot of them were actually sort of in the way of mowing. We're clearing some of them out and will be redoing some of the design. Also in the upper left of the photo you'll see large black plastic pots. They're heavy and are growing nothing but weeds. I'm going to empty them and put them away.
These bushes have been trimmed way down. They're a little annoying because they're full of thorns and maybe someday I'll completely replace them. They have some pretty colored leaves through the year however. Additionally I remember reading that thorns under windows symbolize protection. My guess is it comes from deterring robbers. I also plan on clearing out the grass around the bushes so it doesn't grow up through them.
I need to trim down some of the rose bushes in front (not even sure if they're alive anymore) and trim down some of the major growth seen in the flower beds on this side. The lamb's ears are huge and amazingly still alive.
I'm thinking it may be a good idea to tear up all the grass in this section and just have woodchips/gravel. The purple smoke bushes are doing well at least.
On this side we have the evil Virginia Creeper vines acting as ground cover. Underneath it all is the dead remains of the bushes that used to be there which aren't much prettier. This is where I wish we had the money to hire a landscaper with a backhoe to just tear it all out.
And here at the corner is more of the dead bush. It is almost presentable as being some sort of natural decoration. Maybe if it had moss and more interesting flora around it would seem more interesting. This is probably not going to be addressed this year.
The areas along the south of our house are just plain grass. We need to aerate and reseed but otherwise this year we aren't doing much with it. Eventually I want it zero-scaped as well or turn it into a vegetable garden.
We've done a lot to clear out the invading plants that have infiltrated the bushes along the west side of the house. I think it's Siberian Elm which is known to be invasive. I've just discovered the other invasive tree is the Tree of Heaven or Ailanthus
I like that this rosebush creates long stems filled with roses but it also very quickly becomes unwieldy. I think it's supposed to grow up along a trellis. It makes me wonder if my parents were intending it to grow up along the sign like a trellis. I will probably just get rid of it entirely.
My parents planted these bushes too close to each other. I am going to majorly trim them down and give them some shape.
The wild and out of control bushes along the southern wall are finally trimmed down. You can see our balcony again which I am now filling with potted herbs. In front of the basement window will be a bunch of tulips and daffodils. Also along this pathway will be a row of tulips. I've had to transplant some of the plants that had sprouted right in the middle of the pathway over to the side.
My favorite rosebush is doing the worst right now. I've cleared out the Virginia Creeper choking it and fought back the Juniper bushes but this rose bush suffered from drought last year and was split in half by the heavy snow :(. I remember when my mother bought this and they called it an angel face rose. It had the best scent.
These two rosebushes used to be double in size. They too were hit by the snow and practically split in half. I know these ones to be particularly hardy so they'll be fine. And no that's not my car.
From this angle it doesn't look so bad. This is the section of the yard we've worked on every year and I finally feel like it shows.
Over here is a lone rosebush leading into our neighbor's section of the strip. This will likely be the first section to tear up the grass and replace with wood chips or gravel.
I can already see dandelions growing throughout this area. It used to be filled with mint and it will be again.






















No comments:
Post a Comment