Monday, August 19, 2013

Narodna - Peace Gardens 2013


Contrary to what the lack of update might imply I've been quite busy. I recently spent about two weeks in Vietnam and there will certainly be some posts about the trip coming up. I am sorting through around 800 photos and videos. Plus I have to filter out which ones are suitable for a public blog versus the private journal. On a much more manageable scale were the half dozen pictures I took recently here in Salt Lake City at the Peace Gardens. Every year they hold a little folk festival and Narodna signs up to perform. We wound up representing several different countries being dressed up in Russian costumes and performing Russian, Israeli, and Slovak dances. Here I am in costume.


The peace gardens is a collection of gardens featuring different countries with architecture, artwork, and plants from the country. Adrian pointed out there was a Vietnam garden and so I wandered over. As I passed under the archway into the garden I saw a flag I wasn't expecting. 


The flag I had seen during my trip to Vietnam as well as previous times I had looked up info on Vietnam on the web I had always seen the red flag with a yellow star and instead I see a yellow flag with 3 red stripes. A quick Google search on my phone and I discovered that this is the flag of Southern Vietnam before the war. On the other side of this monument was a map of Vietnam. On it were displayed 3 cities: Hanoi, Hue, and Saigon. Not 'Ho Chi Minh City' as it is officially called today.  Looks like whoever put together the peace gardens doesn't want to represent the communist influence.



No comments:

Post a Comment